Chief Executive Officer
Thomas Jefferson Institute
Virtual Office in Virginia
As the visionary leader of the Thomas Jefferson Institute, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will serve as chief strategist and champion in developing and executing a results-oriented plan to achieve the Institute’s mission, vision, and strategic objectives. The CEO will report to the Board of Directors and be responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization, including the implementation of its strategic framework, cultivating relationships with investors that expand the financial strength of the organization, and building strategic partnerships with legislators, community leaders, and allied organizations.
About the Organization
The Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy is a 501(c)(3) public policy organization that aims to craft and promote public policy solutions that advance prosperity and opportunity for all Virginians. Founded in 1998, it faced a sudden period of transition on the death of its founder in 2019. The current CEO has ably led the organization though these organizational challenges as well as the broader pandemic-related ones of recent years, building the organization to one achieving important policy wins and making great strides in growing its fundraising, name recognition, and leadership. Having placed the organization on steady footing, he has decided to retire and hand the reigns to a leader who will continue the build a prospering, dynamic organization.
The organization’s revenues reached $500,000 in 2022. The Institute’s robust programs include advocacy for education choice, affordable and reliable energy, workplace freedom, and tax reform. The Institute successfully created and advocated for a tax reform program adopted by Governor Youngkin in 2022, plays a leadership role in the ongoing fight to promote education choice in Virginia, and has been instrumental in providing public school teachers information about a variety of alternatives to established teachers’ unions.
About the Opportunity
The board seeks a leader who shares the vision of driving policies and ideas that create a thriving economy where all Virginians have the opportunity to succeed. A new leader for the Institute will help create a Commonwealth where economic and regulatory barriers are low, individuals and parents are empowered to make informed choices for themselves and their families, and government protects its citizens without overreaching into their lives.
The successful candidate must have the ability to:
- Collaborate with the board to lead the organization in accomplishing high-value results consistent with its vision and mission to be a strong, influential voice for free-market, liberty-oriented policies that allow all Virginians to flourish and prosper.
- Energetically and enthusiastically raise the funds necessary to achieve the goals and mission of the organization, with an emphasis on cultivating relationships with major donors across the state.
- Build and retain a high-performing team, including new board members, able to accomplish the mission.
- Manage day-to-day affairs so that staff time and resources are aligned, coordinated, and focused on achieving strategic objectives.
- Work with the board to ensure legal compliance and financial sustainability of the organization.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships that strengthen the organization’s ability to accomplish its mission.
The Institute’s Board of Directors approved a strategic framework in 2022 for the next three years. These goals include building a high-capacity and results-oriented organization able to effectively accomplish the mission and ensure Virginia retains its foundation of economic prosperity by engaging in key issues such as education, energy, low taxes, and the right to work. This framework offers the new CEO a structure to guide him/her while also allowing room to drive a vision for success. Specifically, the board of the Institute will look to the new CEO to:
- Grow the Institute to $1 million in revenue within the first three years.
- Measurably raise the awareness and influence of the Institute in Richmond and across the state.
- Build, lead, and retain a dynamic staff that works in partnership to advance the Institute’s goals.
The current CEO works virtually from Northern Virginia. The Board is open to a candidate living anywhere in Virginia with the ability to travel the state to visit donors and to be involved in Richmond as necessary during the legislative session and other times. Travel estimated to be 20%.
About the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience and attributes:
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Proven relationship builder with demonstrated success in progressively responsible leadership roles
- Background in fundraising, public policy, communications, and/or marketing is desirable, with a bias toward proven fundraising success
- Commitment to continuous leadership improvement
- Ability to think, plan, and decide strategically
- Entrepreneurial; ability to create opportunity and generate new ideas
- Ability to execute major initiatives while protecting and advancing the Institute’s unique mission and brand
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ethical character
- Bachelor’s or higher degree (preferred)
Anticipated start date for this role is on or about April 1, 2023, with a period of overlap with the outgoing CEO through June 2023.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume
- A cover letter detailing how your experience is relevant to the CEO position, your initial thoughts on where you would like to take TJI in the coming years, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.